Happy Monday! There was a unexpected fire drill that took half of one of my APUSH classes, so we were not able to complete everything that I had planned. Wednesday is a work day, so I will use that time to go over what we missed.
At the beginning of each class, I checked each student’s homework (Chapter 1 Video Guide) while they completed the Chapter 1 Quick Assessment. I like to have some sort of brief writing activity at the beginning of class and this also lets me know what concepts I need to review before moving forward. I spent extra time discussing The Pueblo Revolt since we did not go over the material on Friday.
After the discussion of the Quick Assessment, I gave the students 6 multiple-choice questions from Period 1. Unfortunately, I cannot share these because I did not create them, but they dealt with the Columbian Exchange and a map of Native American life. I collected the questions from the students and a good majority of them received 5/6 or better. I will track down a few students that struggled on the questions in the next few days to figure out why.
I’m a fan of Kahoot.com. The only downside I see for APUSH is that the number of characters for each question and answer is limited, so there is no way APUSH-style questions could be used for the game. Rather, I like to use it similar to the Quick Assessments and to review material quickly. I created a brief Kahoot (7 questions) that reviewed key ideas from Period 1 and the Pueblo Revolt.
To finish up class, I went back to HIPP analysis of a document. This time it was APUSH Review: Breaking Down John Winthrop’s “A City Upon A Hill”. As a class, we read the document and I went over the Historical Context, but the students did the rest of HIPP on their own.
Homework for this week:
- Tuesday, September 12, 2017: Spanish, English, French, and Dutch Colonization Video Guide. I will be assigning an essay on this topic that will be due on Monday, September 18.
- Wednesday, September 13, 2017: None, work day
- Thursday, September 14, 2017: The New England Colonies Video Guide and the Chesapeake Colonies Video Guide, Spain and England Colonization Short Answer
- Friday, September 15, 2017: Metacom’s (King Philipp’s) War Video Guide, Chapter 2 Vocabulary Quiz, New England and Chesapeake Short Answer Question
- Monday, September 18, 2017: Chapter 2 Video Guide, APUSH Summer Assignment – Essay